Andrus Ansip - Vice-President of the EU Commission for the Digital Single Market
Europe should benefit fully from the digital age: better services, more participation and new jobs.
- EU fuels rocket programme with €100m 22. 1. 2020The European Commission announced a €100 million investment in a prototype rocket programme on Tuesday (21 January), as Europe aims to keep a firm hold in a space industry predicted to be worth €1 trillion in the coming years.Sam Morgan
- Facebook ‘on the side of free expression’ as EU steps up disinformation fight 22. 1. 2020Social media giant Facebook has warned against curtailing freedom of expression as the EU considers measures to clamp down on disinformation campaigns across online platforms.Samuel Stolton
- The EU is funding dystopian Artificial Intelligence projects 22. 1. 2020Despite its commitment to ‘trustworthy’ artificial intelligence, the EU is bankrolling AI projects that are questionable, write Fieke Jansen and Daniel Leufer.Daniel Leufer, Fieke Jansen
- Talks on digital tax with US remain difficult – France’s Le Maire 21. 1. 2020France’s Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Tuesday (21 January) talks with the United States on the taxation of digital companies “remained difficult” despite a pledge from the two countries to avoid a trade war until at least the end of this year.Samuel Stolton
- Hundreds of US police departments using ‘dystopian’ face recognition app — report 20. 1. 2020An explosive new US media report published on Saturday revealed that a secretive company has been selling the world's most advanced known facial recognition software to local law enforcement agencies for at least 2 years.Samuel Stolton
Günther H. Oettinger - Commissioner for the Digital Economy and Society
We need a European market, which allows new business models to flourish, start-ups to grow and the industry to take advantage of the internet of things.